Monday, June 18, 2007

A Breath of Fresh Air

I am quite happy to introduce my readers to Daniel Carlat’s new blog, The Carlat Psychiatry Report. Dr. Carlat, as I’ve reported earlier, writes about psychiatry in a newsletter that provides continuing education for psychiatrists. He also had a recent piece in the New York Times decrying the influence of industry in continuing medical education. I’m a big fan of his work.

There are few blogs that report critically on the sneaky marketing of the drug industry in psychiatry, and I strongly suspect that Carlat’s site is going to be a welcome addition to the blogosphere. I expect his writings will help detail the farce that medical education has become, where doctors are exposed to thinly veiled drug advertising which passes for education in order to keep doctors apprised of the “latest and greatest” in medical research. See earlier posts here and here for my observations on medical advertising, er, education.

No comments: