Monday, January 29, 2007

Seroquel for Everything: Update

You’ve surely seen me point out earlier that I’m more than slightly concerned with the proliferation of Seroquel (quetiapine) to treat virtually everything. What started out as an antipsychotic medication has spread into bipolar (with the help of some tricky statistics, naturally), then into being investigated for alcohol abuse, bipolar in preschoolers (assuming, of course, such a disorder actually exists!), generalized anxiety disorder, and now…

Fear of Public Speaking. Yep, Furious Seasons has just documented that the good folks at AstraZeneca are now aiming for people who are socially anxious. Hey, next time I’m feeling nervous prior to a conference presentation, I’ll make sure to pop one of these bad boys. Give me a break.

I can sense a fear of public speaking “disease awareness” campaign being planned at AstraZeneca’s corporate office as I type…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that zyprexa is now going to be marketed for anorexic hyperglycemics....