Friday, May 11, 2007

More on the New Bipolar Disorder

Philip Dawdy has chimed in smartly on the subthreshold bipolar diagnosis and its implications. Background here and here. Here's one snippet:
My reading of this is that much of that increase is linked to an expanded definition of bipolar disorder as a spectrum disorder (spectrum disorders are all the rage these days) with SBD being the catch basin for all the soft bipolar researchers claim they are detecting in America these days. And so begins the war on the weird, the productive and the agitated of America.
Much more at his site.

2 comments:

Monica Cassani said...

I just want to thank you for all your commentary on the SBD bullshit. I've relied entirely on yours and Philip's sites covering this issue on my blog. I wanted to respond immediately upon reading the study, but have not been well...I'm so glad you and Philip did it for me!

CL Psych said...

Thanks. I think that this SBD stuff is going to become the latest "underrecognized, undertreated condition" before long. We'll see...